god meets girl

27.12.04
ancestry
this is one of my favorite weeks. an easy workload, fun times with friends and family, i'm usually richer than the week before and it is the sunset of the past year (which i will write about later).

i just got back from florida where i had a very maternal christmas. i spent the time with my mother, my grandmother and her sister, my great-aunt. it was filled with genealogy, fun stories and the entertainment that only two spry women in their 90s can offer. two of the frequently heard phrases and terms were "she's gained quite a few pounds since she first moved here", and my personal favorite "going around the hill" (and yes, that's what you think it is!).

my grandmother and great-aunt great up in new york and i forgot how yankee my family really is. they lived as sophisticated socialites in a world of art and style. a friend of mine recently told me about his family and how important lineage is to them. i haven't given it much thought in terms of who i date and eventually marry, though it is interesting to me now. i suppose it has more to do with the things you have in common (and are able to do), like traveling or certain sports or art or theatre. since those things are often a shared cultural practice, i suppose it makes sense that we pair off with those that are like us. just something i hadn't thought of before and frankly, i'm interested in pursuing. i am grateful for what has been both literally and figuratively be passed down to me. and i am refreshed in my sense of family, creativity and continuity.

in light of this, here are a few things i'd like to do in life, in keeping with my lineage:
1. track family history. this is something i've always loved about anne and sarah's family and i'm excited to learn that my family has done more than i had thought. i'm also excited to see how this expands as our family grows.
2. travel! i've put this off for far too long. first stop will be prague, i think, to visit the history of my family surname.
3. opera. i want to learn so much more about this form of expression and the opera i first want to see is pucinni's turadot.
4. dress well, and dress up often. i have to laugh a little at this, but my grandmother was able to pass off to me dresses that her grandmother wore! perhaps i'm just being nostalgic, but it seems that there was a greater emphasis on quality fifty years ago than there is now.
5. have cocktails. first of all, for the quality time that it brings, but second, for the really swanky glasses!

forgive me as i'm in a romantic mood. i'd like to stay here for a little while, if i may, before the rush of reality returns with the bleakness of january.
posted by Paige @ 10:16 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

© 2006 god meets girl | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health

 
 

Web This Blog
About Me


Name: Paige
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Links
Archives
Affiliates

make money online blogger templates